Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  • Users Online: 1059
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2002  |  Volume : 50  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 313-316

Peribulbar anaesthesia for penetrating keratoplasty. A case series


Dept. of Ophthalmology, Clear Vision Eye Center, Bombay, India

Correspondence Address:
V Agrawal
Dept. of Ophthalmology, Clear Vision Eye Center, Bombay
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


PMID: 12532497

Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Purpose: To prospectively analyse the efficacy and safety of peribulbar anaesthesia for penetrating keratoplasty through a noncomparative, consecutive series. Methods: One hundred twenty-four (91.1%) of 136 patients undergoing penetrating keratoplasty (PK) from January 1997 to December 2001, were administered peribulbar anaesthesia. The anaesthetic mixture consisted 5ml of lignocaine, bupivacaine, and hyaluronidase (to avoid evaluation bias) in the peribulbar space. A repeat injection of 3 ml was used if the primary injection was inadequate. Digital ocular compression was done for 10-15 minutes after the first injection. Each patient was analysed for degree of akinesia, subjective patient comfort, analgesia, subjective surgeon comfort, and types of surgical conditions. Results: The age ranged from 19 to 86 years. Forty-nine of 124 patients (39.5%) received PK only and remaining 75 patients (60.5%) received additional procedures. A single injection was sufficient to achieve adequate akinesia (grade II and III) in 114 (92%) patients and 120 (97%) of patients were satisfied (graded pain as ≤ grade II). During surgery, 6 (5%) phakic eyes developed episodes of positive intraocular pressure and 5 eyes (4%) developed chemosis. There were no other local or systemic adverse events. The surgeon level comfort was (grade II or more) 98% (122 of 124). Conclusion: One-point, low volume, peribulbar anaesthesia for penetrating keratoplasty is safe and efficacions.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3186    
    Printed106    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded201    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal