|Year : 2006 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 143
Subramanya Reddy, Prabhakar Reddy
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Reddy S, Reddy P. Obituary. Indian J Ophthalmol 2006;54:143
We deeply mourn the sad demise of Dr. P. Siva Reddy who passed away on September 6, 2005. He had contributed significantly to the world of Indian Ophthalmology.
Dr. Reddy was the founder and director of Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital of Hyderabad. This great man founded the first eye bank in the country in 1964 and by 1968 he had successfully created subspeciality departments for Cornea, Retina and Orthoptics. It was he who established regional institutes of ophthalmology in Vizag, Warangal and Kurnool, in the state of Andhra Pradesh. He organised several CME's, national and international conferences/workshops in Andhra Pradesh.
His contribution to community ophthalmology was monumental. He has to his credit over 500 surgical eye camps, which he pioneered and performed over 250 thousand surgeries.
Dr. Reddy presented over 200 scientific papers at different fora. He authored 2 books in ophthalmology for undergraduates and co-authored a book on fundamentals in ophthalmology. He did some pioneering research and discovered a rare worm called Gordia Worm, which was named after him as Gordia Reddy at WCO in Munich in 1964.
He was the President of All India Ophthalmological Socity (AIOS) and National Academy of Medical Sciences. He was the Vice President of IAPB. He was the advisor in ophthalmology to the Government of India and consultant ophthalmologist to the President of India. He was a visiting professor to the Sun Yat Sen University of China and Superintendent at the SD Eye Hospital for a long time. Dr. Reddy was also the President, Chief Patron and advisor of the Andhra Pradesh state Ophthamological Society.
"P Siva Reddy Award" is given annually during the annual meeting of AIOS to a member for outstanding research.
His contribution was recognized and he was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award of AIOS in 1999 and was awarded Padmashree (1971) and Padmabhushan (1977) by the Prisident of India Some of the other Awards/ Fellowships/Memberships conferred on him are given below:
1. Fellowship of International College of Surgeons (1970)
2. Fellowship of Academy of Medical Sciences (1973)
3. Doctorate D.Sc from S.V.University Tirupati (1979)
4. International Membership of IAPB (1980)
5. Membership of American Academy of Ophthalmology (1983)
6. Membership of ICO (1987)
7. Honorary doctorate of Malaysian Singapore University of Medical Sciences (1992)
8. Adenwala Gold Medal of AIOS
9. Josh Rizal Medal of APAO
10. B C Roy Award - First in 1981 (Socio Medical Relief) and again in1987 (Medical man cum Statesman)
11. Bharatratna Rajiv Gandhi Puraskar in 1995 towards growth of Science & Technology
12. International award of IAPB for services through Eye Camps
13. Souvenir by late Smt.Indira Gandhi on completion of 100 thousand surgeries
14. Y Subbarao Gold Medal during Centenary celebrations at Kurnool
Dr. P. Siva Reddy actively served scientific and educational organizations like Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Chaitanya Institute of Engineering and Technology and Andhra Pradhesh academy of sciences. He constructed Choultaries for poor patients adjacent to Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital at Hyderabad and later at Mahboobnagar and Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh.
[Figure - 1]