Glyxambi
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  • Users Online: 1935
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
COMMUNITY EYE CARE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 62  |  Issue : 9  |  Page : 935-937

Donor and tissue profi le of a community eye bank in Eastern India


Cornea and Anterior Segment Service, L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India

Correspondence Address:
Sujata Das
Cornea and Anterior Segment Service, L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Bhubaneswar - 751 024, Odisha
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0301-4738.138298

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: The purpose of this study is to analyze the donor and tissue profile of a community eye bank in Eastern India. Materials and Methods: Eye bank records were analyzed for the period July 2007-June 2011. Variables analyzed included donor demographics (age, gender, and ethnicity), donor cause of death, consent for recovery, death-to-preservation interval, preservation-to-utilization interval, endothelial cell density (ECD), corneal suitability for transplantation, and corneal tissue utilization. Results: During this study period, 743 corneal tissues were retrieved from 373 donors (male:female = 263:110). The mean age of donors was 52 ± 21 years (range: 3-95 years). The most common donor age group was 41-50 and 71-80 years. Most of the donors belonged to one religious faith (99%). The most common causes of death were cardiorespiratory failure (34%) followed by road traffic accident (30%). Majority donors were motivated (n = 320; 86%), and remaining (n = 53; 14%) were voluntary. Most of the consents were given by sons or daughters of the deceased (45%) followed by siblings (18%). Mean death-to-preservation interval was 3.9 ± 1.9 h. Mean preservation-to-utilization interval was 56.0 ± 24.4 h. The mean ECD of donor corneal tissue was 2857 ± 551 cells/mm 2 and the median value was 2898 cells/mm 2 . Of harvested corneas 556 (75%) corneal tissues were utilized. The most common causes of nonutilization were septicemia in donor (n = 56; 30%) and poor quality of tissue (n = 55; 30%). Conclusions: Although, there is significant corneal tissue utilization, there is a need for increased awareness among people in order to augment voluntary donations.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1487    
    Printed13    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded146    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal