Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  • Users Online: 1388
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 65  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 2-6

Clinical profile of the patients with pediatric epiphora in a tertiary eye care center


Oculoplasty Services, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Bhavna Chawla
Oculoplasty Services, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi - 110 029
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0301-4738.202306

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: To study the clinical profile of children aged <10 years presenting with epiphora at a tertiary eye care center, to compare the clinical profile between the early onset (<3 years) and the late-onset (≥3 years) group, and to study the success of different treatment modalities. Materials and Methods: A prospective nonrandomized observational study was conducted in 209 eyes of 167 patients (42 bilateral cases). The main outcome measure was postoperative relief of presenting symptoms and signs at 3 months follow-up. Results: Fifty-five percent cases (92 of 167) were early-onset cases, and 45% (75 of 167) were late onset. The male:female ratio was 1.9:1. Seventy-five percent cases were unilateral. The etiological profile was –76% cases of congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction (NLDO), 18% traumatic/surgical, 4% acquired NLDO, and 2% punctal causes. The overall success rate of all the treatment modalities in our study was 80% (167/208) –82% for sac massage, 77% for probing, 79% for intubation dacryocystorhinostomy, and 100% for punctal surgery. A significant association was noted between the treatment outcome and laterality (P = 0.04), presence of infection (P = 0.032), symptom severity (P = 0.027), history of previous treatment (P = 0.024), and age. No significant association was found between the treatment outcome and gender (P = 0.73), socioeconomic status (P = 0.43), etiology (P = 0.45), and treatment modality (P = 0.33). Conclusion: This study describes the complete range of causes and treatment modalities for pediatric epiphora and highlights the etiology, signs and symptoms, treatment, and the comparative outcome between the early versus the late-onset group and analyses the factors predictive of the outcome.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed331    
    Printed8    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded53    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal