Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  • Users Online: 1147
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2020  |  Volume : 68  |  Issue : 13  |  Page : 27-31

Spectrum of Eye Disease in Diabetes (SPEED) in India: A prospective facility-based study. Report # 3. Retinal vascular occlusion in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus


1 Sri Sankaradeva Nethralaya, Guwahati, Assam, India
2 L V Prasad Eye Institute, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
3 L V Prasad Eye Institute, KAR Campus, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
4 London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
5 Indian School of Public Health, Public Health Foundation of India, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
6 Dr. Mohan's Diabetes Foundation, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Harsha Bhattacharjee
Sri Sankaradeva Nethralaya, Guwahati, Assam
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijo.IJO_1934_19

Rights and Permissions

Purpose: To determine the proportion of people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) attending large eye care facilities across India who have retinal vascular occlusion (RVO). Methods: A 6-month descriptive, multicenter, observational hospital-based study of people was being presented to the 14 eye care facilities in India. The retina-specific component of comprehensive eye examination included stereoscopic biomicroscopy, binocular indirect ophthalmoscopy, and fundus fluorescein angiography, and optical coherence tomography was also available when needed. Data recording of the duration of diabetes, hypertension (HTN), stroke, and other variables was obtained from the medical history. The statistical analysis included frequencies, mean, and standard deviations for continuous variables. Odds ratio (OR) and multivariate analysis were undertaken to assess the associations between risk factors and RVO. Results: The study recruited 11,182 consecutive patients (22,364 eyes) with T2DM. About 59.0% (n = 6697) were male. The mean age was 58.2 ± 10.6 years. In this cohort, RVO was detected in 3.4% (n = 380) of patients; 67.6% (n = 257) of them had branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO) and the remaining 32.4% (n = 123) had central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO). The frequency of unilateral BRVO (n = 220, 85.6%) and unilateral CRVO (n = 106, 86.18%) was much common. Unilateral RVO was more frequent (n = 326, 85.8%) than bilateral diseases (n = 54, 14.2%) (χ2 = 126.95, P < 0.001). Ischemic CRVO was more common (n = 103, 73.6%) than nonischemic CRVO (n = 37, 26.4%). Macula-involving BRVO was found in 58.5% (n = 172) of cases, suggesting more than 50% of cases in RVO carries a risk of severe vision loss. The duration of diabetes apparently had no influence on the occurrence of RVO. On the multivariate analysis, a history of HTN [OR: 1.7; 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.3–2.1; P = 0.001) and stroke (OR: 5.1; 95% CI: 2.1–12.4; P < 0.001) was associated with RVO. Conclusion: RVO is a frequent finding in people with T2DM. History of stroke carries the highest risk followed by HTN. The management of people with T2DM and RVO must also include comanagement of all associated systemic conditions.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed137    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded43    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal