Year : 1966 | Volume
: 14 | Issue : 4 | Page : 188--189
Dr. B. K. Narayanarao (1884-1966)
Md Shafi Mehkri
Md Shafi Mehkri
|How to cite this article:|
Mehkri M. Dr. B. K. Narayanarao (1884-1966).Indian J Ophthalmol 1966;14:188-189
|How to cite this URL:|
Mehkri M. Dr. B. K. Narayanarao (1884-1966). Indian J Ophthalmol [serial online] 1966 [cited 2020 Aug 6 ];14:188-189
Available from: http://www.ijo.in/text.asp?1966/14/4/188/38650
With the passing away of Dr. B. K. Narayana Rao on 17th July 1966, India has lost one of the senior most ophthalmologists who had dedicated his life to medical education, and whose influence was felt not only in Mysore but in the whole of India and abroad.
He was born at Basvapatna, Mysore on 12th March 1884. After schooling in Shimoga he graduated from the Central College, Bangalore and took his M.B., C.M. degree from the Madras University.
During his short association with the Madras Medical Service he was actively engaged in research work on tropical diseases under the able guidance of Col. Donovan who had demonstrated the Leishmann-Donovan bodies.
Proceeding to England he passed the D.O. examination of Oxford, the M.R.C.S. and D.P.H. of England.
Returning to India, he joined the Mysore Medical Service and was posted to the District Hospital of Shimoga. where he worked not only as an ophthalmologist, which was his first love, but also as a surgeon, physician and gynecobstetrician which was the secret of his broad outlook on ophthalmology.
In 1923, he was posted to the Minto Ophthalmic Hospital, Bangalore, where later he became its superintendent. It was here that his great qualities as a teacher, clinician and a skilful surgeon blossomed to spread his fame and influence in India, and beyond from where post graduates poured in to learn from this great reservoir of knowledge. He retired as Director of Medical Services, Mysore on 12th March 1941.
As a medical educationist he helped to establish the Mysore Medical College in 1925 and the Bangalore Medical College of which he became the Principal. He did yeoman service, without any remuneration and brought the institution to a high standard of efficiency.
He was a founder member of the All-India Ophthalmological Society and presided over its 4th Conference at Lahore in December 1936. He was the president and guiding spirit of the Mysore State Ophthalmological Society, where he was held in great reverence and esteem. He has presented several papers at the various ophthalmic and medical conferences in the State and outside. He was the oldest and the most active member of the Mysore State Branch of the Indian Medical Association. His advice and guidance was freely sought and generously given at various conferences, which always had a sobering effect on many heated discussions.
As regards his character, with his punctuality, strict discipline tempered with humility and generosity he had endeared himself to his students, friends and colleagues.
May the traditions he has established with his knowledge, character and devotion to work keep his memory alive in the hearts of his many students and colleagues and b--rraved members of his family.