|Year : 1983 | Volume
| Issue : 4 | Page : 359-360
Make your own striated glasses
Amratlal N Patel
Western Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Ahmedabad, India
Amratlal N Patel
Western Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Ahmedabad
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Patel AN. Make your own striated glasses. Indian J Ophthalmol 1983;31:359-60
Anomalous retinal correspondence is a very known condition in strabismus. Recently much signification has been attributed to this condition for the management of squint. Before we go for management perfect diagnosis is amust. We can diagnose it by various means.
1. Worth 4 dot test
2. On Synoptophore.
3. After Image test.
4. Striated glasses.
Among all these test striated glasses are the best because
1. All other test for retinal correspondence introduce an artifical situation that may affect the test result to a greater or lesser degree.
2. Time: Striated glasses take only a minute while other tests are time consuming.
3. Procedure: Patients co-operation is very essential in other tests while with striated glasses patients co-operation is not very essential as procedure is very simple.
4. Extremely Cheap : Of course, only if you make it your self !
5. Easily available : If one wish to have it one can make it himself and hence no question of not availability.
| Material and method|| |
1. A study spectale frame fitted with plain with flat (without any curvature) glasses.
2. 2. Thin glass capillaries used in pathology for B.T. & C.T.
1. Make one line with ink on outer side at 45° in one glass and second line in second glass at 135°. It will not matter if the lines are not exactly at the above degree. Little difference will not make any change in result but they should not be at right angle to each other as most of the time suppression scotomas are at 180'.
2. Now break capillaries as per the length of the line and stick it over the line, but inside of the glasses.
3. Stick more capillaries one by one parallel to first one on both the sides covering whole glass. There. should be little distance (0.5 to 1 mm) between two capillaries.
4. Let adhesive get dry.
5. Your striated glasses are ready to use.
Method of examination & Interpretation :
Ask patient to put on it just like our spectacles and ask him to see in the small spot light kept at 6 meter distance & tell him to draw the lines the way he sees.
1 . Balanced Cross of luminous linnes -Normal person, if no squint on cover test -H.A.R.C. if squint is present, on cover test. [Figure 1] x
2. One line Only ;
-Suppression of the other eye. [Figure 2]
3. Break in the Line : [Figure 3] x
4. Irregular lines and cross :-[Figure 4] X x
-Tropia with N.R.C.
Although this test is the best among all, prognostic value of the use of different tests for retinal correspondence need be balanced. Those who restrict themselves to one or two tests, are trying to uncover the nakedness of the abnormality & deprive themselves of valuable informations.
| Acknowledgement|| |
1. Dr. R.N. MATHUR, Director, M & J Institute of ophthalmology for facilities and support in this research.
2. Squint clinic and Dr. S.K. Narang and Dr. G.R. Patel for their suggestions.
| References|| |
Bagolin, B, 1967, Dcc. Ophthalmol. 23:346.
Von Noorden, Gunter K, 1980, Binocular vision and ocular Motility, 259.