Year : 1976 | Volume
: 24 | Issue : 3 | Page : 43-
|How to cite this article:|
K.S.S. Obituary.Indian J Ophthalmol 1976;24:43-43
|How to cite this URL:|
K.S.S. Obituary. Indian J Ophthalmol [serial online] 1976 [cited 2022 Jan 19 ];24:43-43
Available from: https://www.ijo.in/text.asp?1976/24/3/43/31303
The sudden passing away of Dr. P.A. Velayudhan Pillai, former Superintendent of the Government Ophthalmic Hospital, Trivandrum, on 15th July 1976 at the age of 75 years, at Trivandrum, removes from the scene a doyen among Kerala Ophthalmologists.
He qualified L.R.C.P. & S from Edinburgh and D.O.M.S. from London in the early nineteen thirties, and joined the Travancore Medical Service. For almost the entire period of his service he was at the Ophthalmic Hospital, Trivandrum where he was soon made Ophthalmic Surgeon ; and Superintendent of the hospital from 1935 until his retirement in June 1966.
The present buildings of the Ophthalmic Hospital, Trivandrum, owe their existence to him. With commendable foresight he planned it in such a way that it could develop into an institute of Ophthalmology. The institution became extremely popular during his time, and patients flocked to him from far and near seeking his loving care and wise counsel. Even after retirement he was busy serving his patients until a few days before his death. For long he was the sole qualified Ophthalmologist in the hospital. From 1952 he gathered under him a devoted band of young doctors, whom he trained and inspired and it is these who are no occupying important ophthalmic positions in the State.
In 1954 when the Ophthalmic department of the Trivandrum Medical College was started, he was the natural choice as the first professor of Ophthalmology, a post he held till his retirement in 1966. Many generations of Medical student in Kerala may remember with gratitude his interest in them as a teacher and examiner.
He started the diploma courses for Opticians and Orthoptists at the hospital, and laid the foundations for starting the postgraduate courses for the D.O. and M.S. degree of the Kerala University. He was happy to see his old hospital develop into a postgraduate institution.
Soft spoken, kind and loving, he was a perfect gentleman, held in great respect by colleagues, and in reverence by a multitude of patients. His modesty, humility and generosity were well known. Religious by nature, he spent all his spare time in the service of God, and was the founder President of the Ayyappa Seva Sangam. Such noble men belong to a passing generation, and we are the poorer for his passing.
He leaves behind his aged widow, two sons and three daughters, and a large circle of friends and patients. We pay our respectful homage in memory of the departed soul.